Anyone Growing Hops?

Home Forums Brewing General Anyone Growing Hops?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      tettnang tom
      Participant
      @tettnang-tom

Hi All,

With the hops shortage, just wondering if anyone is growing their own hops for the fall? B)

tt
      Hops_Galore___.jpg

Anonymous

Im growing some cascades. This is my first year. This pic is about 3 weeks old. They are now well over 12 ft. and some buds are showing up. Can’t wait!

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

I’m growing Cascade and Hallertau. The Cascade is 12-14 ft tall with about 100 buds, while the Hallertau is 9-10 with a couple dozen buds. For the first few years I plan on using them for just bittering. Later when I get enough for several batches, I’ll try them for flavor,aroma or dry hopping.
      Mich Dave

tettnang tom
      Participant
      @tettnang-tom

Hi Josh,

Glad to hear that you have a good crop up and growing. Somehow your pic didn’t get posted. It would be great to see your picture.

Hi Dave,
      You are the winner so far with hops flowers and cones to follow!!!

I used horse manure to set the rhisomes. They took off like crazy.
      If I get a bad batch of brew in the fall, I even have a built-in excuse, however, I haven’t seen my excuse listed in:

Trouble Shooting/Off flavors when your beer tastes like band-aid, cardboard, plastic, but no horse s####!

tt

Steve Gruver
      Participant
      @gruversm

I’m growing Centennial, Cascade, Nugget and Fuggles.

tettnang tom
      Participant
      @tettnang-tom

Steve,

Great news on the hops. Any pictures? We’ve got a little contest going to help with the world wide hops shortage.

I’ve got Cascade Centennial, Mt. Hood, Goldings, Nugget, Willamette.

tt

Chip Lewis
      @iechyd-da

My cones are just starting to form. I’ve got just 2 Cascade plants going with about 5 bines on each plant.

tettnang tom
      Participant
      @tettnang-tom

Looking Good Chip! 😉

Some great west coast beers to come. Cascades seem to love Indiana soil and climate. My Cascades are twice the size as my other varieties. Do others on this thread agree?

tt

Anonymous

Good news! I met an old friend of my dads that happens to live about a mile from me, and hes got a small 20 y.o. german hallertau crop in his back yard. Apparently he brought these rhizomes back from Germany ’cause he used to get into homebrewing, and said I can take as many buds as I want in Sept! If I get alot I’ll be giving some away to club members only!

Fred Genslinger
      @fredmiester

NO WAY!! thats awesome Josh. I would like to have some please

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

Tom Heminger wrote:

Looking Good Chip! 😉

Some great west coast beers to come. Cascades seem to love Indiana soil and climate. My Cascades are twice the size as my other varieties. Do others on this thread agree?

tt

Hi Tom,
      Yes, i have Cascade and Hallertau. My Cascade is easily twice the size and many times the cones.

Mich Dave

Anonymous

Sorry my pic didn’t turn out,I think it was to big. Anyway,my question is for the members growing cascades. When is the best time to start harvesting? My cones range from .5 of an inch to almost 1″. I read that in Sept. is a good time,but didnt mention specific varieties. Any ideas? Thanks, Josh

Anonymous

Ya Josh ill take a fue let me know the price all ill take about 3 of them
      was jest gonna go buy them but still mite buy a fue Cascade but i see a fue members are already growing them so have to change it up some and get something diffrent

Russ :hh

Chip Lewis
      @iechyd-da

josh wrote:

Sorry my pic didn’t turn out,I think it was to big. Anyway,my question is for the members growing cascades. When is the best time to start harvesting? My cones range from .5 of an inch to almost 1″. I read that in Sept. is a good time,but didnt mention specific varieties. Any ideas? Thanks, Josh

Josh, apparently you will notice a few changes in the cones when it’s time to harvest. The cones should get more of a papery feel to them and also the tips will start to turn brown. My cones have turned more papery from leafy feeling in the last week or so and a few of the cones have slightly discolored tips. I’m thinking they will be ready in a week or 2. :t

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.