Big Brew 2010

Home Forums Brewing Homebrewing Events/Competitions Big Brew 2010

Viewing 50 reply threads
  • Author
      Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

I know it’s still early to discuss Big Brew Day but..

I would like to volunteer to host it again this year. I learned a few do’s and don’ts from last year. The main thing that I will change is to put all the brewers on the band side of the building. This is for two reasons. So you can see the entertainment better and the parking lot has a better slope for run-off.

Please let me know what everyone thinks about having it here again. If the response is good, I’ll have more time to plan and locate some entertainment that isn’t booked that day.

Mich Dave

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

Sounds good to me.
      Thanks Dave!

:bs

Frank Vest
      @frank

details for the new guys? 🙂

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

Frank wrote:

details for the new guys? 🙂

Go here http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/events/national-homebrew-day and check in the photos on our forum to see pix of the last few years.

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

Every first Saturday in May is Global Big Brew Day where all the clubs who choose to participate bring all their gear to a common location to brew together. It’s basically a big brewing party.

Last year Dave hosted up at his shop at Red Arrow Hobbies and it was a BLAST! We had about a dozen complete setups brewing all sorts of things. Everyone brought food and beer to share along with friends etc. Dave went crazy and even got bands to introduce his new line of homebrewing supplies to the public.

It’s big fun and something we try to pull off every year….just a fun membership event to promote homebrewing!

Never too early to get the ball rolling…Sounds good to me Dave (last year I brewed my first homebrew at Big Brew Day! :woohoo: )

sum

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

In a nutshell:
      Club members drag out their brew-gear and gather together to brew, eat, drink, and be Mary… or Alice… or whatever.
      It’s big fun, and not to be missed. Dave is an out-standing host. Last years was a blasty-blast so I have high hopes for this year.
      Come on and gitchu some.

:-b2

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

Summer Lewis wrote:

(last year I brewed my first homebrew at Big Brew Day! :woohoo: )

sum

And a damn good one too. This year try something a bit hoppier though. :laugh:

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

Sounds like a plan Dave. Me and Bronson will help in any way we can.

tettnang tom
      Participant
      @tettnang-tom

Me too, Dave.

A premier event. Do not miss Big Brew!

tt :-ag :-alc :bb :cc :-d :t

Above are last years brew stations :silly:

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

I already can’t wait!!

Ed Raz
      @edraz

I know Marcus and I are in. And I’m sure John is in too. What a great time we had last year, our first.

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

I thought is was about time I post an update. The opening band has been hired. Venitia Sekema. She is an excellent singer, doing a mix of blues, 50’s and 70’s music. Every Monday night she hosts open mic night at the Livery.

The second band is between Vincent Hayes Project and James Reeser and the Back Seat Drivers. You can get a taste of them at:

http://www.myspace.com/vincenthayesproject and
      http://www.myspace.com/jamesreeser

Let me know what you think? I have a couple days to let the “winner” know

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

I’m stoked! :bb

Jim MolerJim Moler
      @jimjart

Tick Tock…. :cc :-be :-be

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

Dave McVeigh wrote:

http://www.myspace.com/vincenthayesproject and
      http://www.myspace.com/jamesreeser

Let me know what you think? I have a couple days to let the “winner” know

Gosh Dave, tough call! I think Vincent Hayes Project sounds a lot tighter, but it could just be the quality of the audio–Reeser sounds outdoors and far away. But it sounds like James Reeser plays harmonica which is a bonus in my book….hmmmm….it’s a toss up. Go by price or flip a coin!:blink:

sum
      :bw

Frank Vest
      @frank

Sweet. I need to put my request in for a day off work. Dang, i’m stoked. Also, I will have a camera around my neck again so i’m double stoked. 🙂

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

I’m leaning towards James Reeser because of the harmonica and even more so, the upright bass. I love a band with an upright bass. It sounds so much better and more realistic then an electric bass. Kind of like the dif between a grand piano and a yamaha.

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

Ohhh I didn’t know about the upright bass. I totally agree! Plus the harmonica…that’s a double bonus!

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

OK, it’s set. The bands will be Venitia Sekema and James Reezer and the Back Seat Drivers. This will be a great show.

Last year was a “trial run” and I hope to make this year better. The first thing that I’ll change is to have all the brewers on the side of the store instead of the front. That sucked last year. (sorry)

Does anyone have other suggestions?

Mich Dave

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

So first, it did NOT suck last year, Dave, but it will be cool to be closer to the bands! :woohoo:

Couple of suggestions: Pick a spot away from set ups for water and dumping activities. It got pretty muddy by the end of the day and made clean up sort of dangerous—fun mud party–but very slippery!

Also, if we plan to have as many or more brewers this year, maybe someone can bring a splitter for the hose. Folks were standing in line for water last year. Line wasn’t long, but it may be beneficial to create 2 hoses from the 1 water source.

Things that were great and we should do again….If Bronson and Kim are willing, the food tent was a great idea. Back where it was, away from the public was perfect. Who furnished the grill last year? Was that you Dave? Maybe it can be available again so that if people want to throw some dogs on they can???? Everyone bring snacks to share so we can soak up the alcohol! :blink:

Parking was also GREAT! Seemed like plenty of room for everyone.

Those with jockey boxes, bring them so whoever wants to share a keg can do so. It was fun to have different beer on tap all day!

OH and if someone could make sure we have good weather like last year, that would be awesome! :laugh:

That’s all I can think of for now…Can’t wait!!!!

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

…it did NOT suck last year…

Agreed! (Don’t be silly, Dave)

I plan to bring my jockey-box (4tap), and at least one keg. All are welcome on the other 3 taps.

I’ll see what I can do about the weather. 😉

It is opening day for Little League, so I have no idea when I will be arriving, but I will get the jockey-box and anything else that comes up out to the shop the night before.

Have I mentioned I’M STOKED?! :bb :bb

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

Not only will being on the side of the building allow everyone to enjoy the bands better, it will keep the ground from getting as muddy. The parking lot is sloped on the side. Make sure to bring some shims to keep those brew rigs level. I have several hoses and wyes to give more access to water.
      Mich Dave

Jeff WilhelmJeff Wilhelm
      Participant
      @jeffw

The Big Brew Day 2010 poster is now available as well. You can download a copy here.

It can also be found in the News section.

Mike Barney
      @twentysix

What is the name of that hotel which a lot of us stayed last year? Anyone called for rates?

Thanks, Mike

Jim MolerJim Moler
      @jimjart

there is the Hampton Inn. pretty much A CRAWL AWAY. :T :bw

You might be able to find the thread form Last year.
      with names and Phone #’s if not by going on line to the
      Hampton inn.

Anonymous

Well i hope to see you all there :bs
      ok is it the 1st of May or the 9th?
      im plaining on doing my DLC that Dave made me up

Well Hope to see you all there

Russell :-b2

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

Big Brew Day is Saturday, May 1st

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

So who’s planning on coming to Big Brew Day and who is brewing???

Chip and I are in and we’re both brewing.

Jeff WilhelmJeff Wilhelm
      Participant
      @jeffw

Dave McVeigh wrote:

OK, it’s set. The bands will be Venitia Sekema and James Reezer and the Back Seat Drivers. This will be a great show.

Mich Dave

Here are links to the artists’ websites…

Venitia Sekema
      James Reeser & The Back Seat Drivers

Steve Gruver
      Participant
      @gruversm

I will be there after my band performs at the Blossomtime Parade in SJ/BH, however I will not be brewing.

Anyone need any help or beer wenching??

🙂

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

I’m planning to brew (probably a Barleywine), and I’ll bring some grillables.
      See yas there!

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

Looks like we’ll have tunes all day, even during the breaks. One of the SWMBC guys has a DJ service and offered to provide, between the sets, music.

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

Dave McVeigh wrote:

Looks like we’ll have tunes all day, even during the breaks. One of the SWMBC guys has a DJ service and offered to provide, between the sets, music.

Woohoo!!! Do you know if a bunch of people from SWMBC are coming to brew?

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

The number of brewers is a mystery to me. I wish I knew.

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

Does anyone have rough carpentry experience? I could use some help with the stage. Basicly its just assemble. All the peices have been saved from last year. No cutting, just nailing and screwing. Come on, I know you all know how to do that!:laugh:

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

Hey Dave, maybe a emailing is in order. I haven’t got many responses about the food and I would also like to know who is coming and what not. Not sure if there is time to do so. I will send Andy and Chip an email.

Kimmy

Dave TrippDave Tripp
      Spectator
      @mcdave

I’ll be there without wife and kids. They have something going on and the wife paroled me for the day.
      I wont be brewing. I took my brewing cart apart to paint it and that’s as far as I got. I’ll bring food (see other thread).

John R
      Participant
      @jracz

I’m planning on making it to brew w/ Ed, and Marcus if the rain holds out. Will bring a desert and dogs and beer.Hope to see you all there. Lets pray the rain holds out and at least it will be warm.:woohoo:

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

We’re going up around 9 or so I’ll be sure to post up in the shout box what the weather is. It’s far enough that the weather may be different from Indiana to Michigan! Fingers crossed!

John R
      Participant
      @jracz

I was up in benton harbor today and the weather station was taking like it was to be a non raining day maybe a few rain spurts lets hope for that.

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

Weather forcast is thunderstorms Friday night with possible rain showers early Saturday. Then turning sunny and warm before noon.

Ed Raz
      @edraz

The weather is not going to be a problem. Let’s all get there and brew. How’s that for positive thinking?

Ed Raz
      @edraz

O.K. , I’m going out on a limb here. I guess I’m looking forward to next year already. Because I know how great last year was and how much better this year will be! I’m willing to get into a donation pool for a standby tent for BBD 2011. If Dave decides to do it again next year, we need to have some kind of a cover for him to guarantee the day goes with out a hitch. I’m sure he’s putting big bucks out for the bands and I will bet they get paid regardless of the weather. Let’s get through this one and talk about the prospects for next year. Sorry about jumping the gun but the prospects of bad weather has about ruined our BBD this year. Future meeting talk, please.:) 🙂 🙂 😛

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

Well I hope everyone is all recovered from BBD!!! Great time again Dave! Thanks for the hospitality!

The weather turned out great and the fun was overflowin’ :silly:

We had 7 setups and as far as Chip and I can guess, the group brewed 50 gallons altogether.

Overall a very good day indeed!

sum

Mike Barney
      @twentysix

Great time Dave and thanks! Good Scotch eggs also!
      Mike

John R
      Participant
      @jracz

Had a great time at BBD thanks to all who put it together great food,great, music and great brewing friends. Thanks Dave for hosting the day and the eggs were great!

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

Dave…..You are AWESOME!!!! The time you put into this event is overwhelming. Thanks for the great hospitality and music and everything else. Only wished we could have stayed longer to hear the last bands whole set. See you soon.

Kimmy

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

Thanks to everyone who came out to BBD! Thanks for all the help to make this a success. I’m thrilled that everyone had a great time. I really enjoy putting this event on, and hope you’ll allow me to host it again next year.

Did the changes this year work for everyone? Any changes I should work on for next year?

Is anyone missing anything? I seem to have gained a folding chair, a hose, and a couple other small items that skip my mind at the moment? Does someone have the yellow wrist bands? This may seem like a trivial item, but it took me a day of calling and driving around to find them and they cost about $40 for the pack for a life time supply.

Mich Dave

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

Dave, I ended up with the wrist bands. Not sure how I got them but I did. I will bring them to the floating meeting. Sorry for that.

Kimmy

Dave TrippDave Tripp
      Spectator
      @mcdave

I’ve finally recovered! Thanks for the good time Dave. Good times with good friends. Thanks everyone!

Ed Raz
      @edraz

This is kind of late but thanks to Dave for hosting BBD. And thanks to Kim for keeping the food organized. I had a great time again. Scotch eggs were great too.

Viewing 50 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.