Big Brew Day 2012?

Home Forums Brewing Homebrewing Events/Competitions Big Brew Day 2012?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

I need to get everyone’s opinion, good or bad, about how BBD went this year. I have a meeting on thursday to discuss this with the livery etc.
      What went well? What didn’t you like? What should we keep? What needs to be changed? Do we want to do it at the Livery again next year? (I will have the problem of drinking HB at our brew stations fixed!! Promise!!)
      Let me know ASAP. (Speak now or forever hold your peace!):cheers
      Mich Dave

Jim MolerJim Moler
      @jimjart

Dave,
      we talked right before I left.just a re-cap

you had mentioned running the tent and next year a 2nd tent the opposite
      direction. in hopes of extending the “beer Garden” for a day.

also the cut off time for sampling home brew Why did they have to do that?
      can that change.

start brewing later in the morning. by the time the crowds got there
      most every one was done brewing. (what say ye).:any1

I don’t think any one even really heard the first two bands.
      we were all in the beer garden drinking.

food was great. beers were great.

Keep us posted.

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

Jim, Having a cut-off time was always a big problem between me and NTAA. They were afraid if beer was being given away, they would be able to sell any and would be stuck with kegs they couldn’t use. Originally they wanted the cut-off time at 11:00. I managed to get it moved to 2:00, then managed to get them to agree to letting it go later if they were selling enough by then. I was hoping to be able to defend the HB at 2:00, but was trapped in the judging. This is diffenately a point I’m going to bring up. I wasn’t happy with this either and it must be changed for next year. At times in the planning meetings I felt like the NTAA was trying to be center stage while home brewers were a side show. Fortunately I got the NTAA toned down quite a bit. Maybe next year I’ll have to find another NFP. The NTAA did do us a lot of good through their promotion, discounts and donations on some needed items like tables fencing etc.

I’m also going to work on the cut off time for brewing. Steve, from the Livery, insisted the brewing stopped at 4:00 and music stopped at 8:00. I think I can get Leslie to change his mind for next year, since she got to see the parade crowd starting to show up as brewers packed up. Not good timing.

Keep the comments coming, good or bad. I want to make this the best event of the year with it just getting better from year to year.

Next year we must have a representitive of MEGA in the planning committee. I did my best, but I also had other interests.

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

Hey Dave,

I’m pretty sure you have the same issues with BBD as I have. While I will NEVER diss or dismiss the importance of brewpub involvement with homebrew clubs, I think we can agree that overall this year wasn’t the ideal situation. I’m very grateful that the Livery agreed to host and put so much time and effort in, but my feeling is that the point of BBD was lost in whomever trying to make a profit or recoup cost.

I’m grateful for the tent and the venue etc, and I know there are costs to cover, but I’m not sure it was worth what we gave up. Sure, we still had a good time–we always do! But, there’s something to be said about the more relaxed (read: less rules) environment. I’d rather chance the rain in someone’s driveway, but maybe that’s just me!

What I’d like BBD to be (my opinion):
      Sharing homebrew from start to whenever the last one leaves.
      Cooking and sharing potluck foods that complement our personalities and beer
      Low-cost chance to brew together (the hassle of transport is cost enough!)
      Smaller–just our club or a mix of us and SWMBC–no public
      Come as you are, brew what you want, when you want and sleep in the yard if you’re too drunk to drive…:2drunk

I think an offsite group campout, primitive brewday would be super swell! :hppybeer

I think last Saturday’s set up could be great for a beer fest and I’d be happy to participate, but not at the loss of a homebrew holiday!

Sum

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

I’ve been trying to think up a tactful response for a couple days, and I don’t think I can do better than what Summer said.

I had a great time, and also really appreciate all the effort that went into putting this event together. I think that for a first run beer event with minimal publicity it went really well. However, I do feel like the spirit of BBD was diminished by beer sales, time constraints, and area restrictions.

I think that it would be awesome to have future events with the Livery and the SWM club, but I’m not sure BBD is a good fit. Maybe “Teach a Friend to Homebrew” day would be a better fit (more of a public focus)… or just an event to celebrate Craft Beer Week, or similar.

Personally, I am a fan of Summer’s Utopian view of BBD:

Come as you are, brew what you want, when you want and sleep in the yard if you’re too drunk to drive.

I’m all for a big party and maximizing exposure for the club, and homebrewing in general, but when it comes to BBD, I’m not so sure that’s the way to best celebrate it.

just my $.02

PS

I think an offsite group campout, primitive brewday would be super swell!

Oh, you’ve opened up a can of worms now!!! This would be RAD!

:cheers1

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

I was hoping this would be a start for something better, but I have to agree with Summer too. At the meeting tonight I’ll discuss the idea of the Livery holding a craft beer week event the second weekend if they really want to make an annual event out of this.
      Several years ago I brought up the idea of having a brewing campout. I believe it was Chet that had some property he offered to use. Let’s pursue this idea for next year. If not, I’ll be glad to host at the store like before. No rules! Most everything goes!
      Since Chet is not as involved with the club as much the last couple years, does anyone have enough property to hold a couple dozen tents and campers? The property must have access to electricity and water. And of coarse the neighbors must be able to handle late night noise.
      Mich Dave

Steve Gruver
      Participant
      @gruversm

I might have enough space….

Steve Gruver
      Participant
      @gruversm

Summer…..I couldn’t agree more.

Hey Dave,

I’m pretty sure you have the same issues with BBD as I have. While I will NEVER diss or dismiss the importance of brewpub involvement with homebrew clubs, I think we can agree that overall this year wasn’t the ideal situation. I’m very grateful that the Livery agreed to host and put so much time and effort in, but my feeling is that the point of BBD was lost in whomever trying to make a profit or recoup cost.

I’m grateful for the tent and the venue etc, and I know there are costs to cover, but I’m not sure it was worth what we gave up. Sure, we still had a good time–we always do! But, there’s something to be said about the more relaxed (read: less rules) environment. I’d rather chance the rain in someone’s driveway, but maybe that’s just me!

What I’d like BBD to be (my opinion):
      Come as you are, brew what you want, when you want and sleep in the yard if you’re too drunk to drive…:2drunk

I think an offsite group campout, primitive brewday would be super swell! :hppybeer

I think last Saturday’s set up could be great for a beer fest and I’d be happy to participate, but not at the loss of a homebrew holiday!

Sum

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

I’m back from the meeting and all went well. The Livery will still hold an event next year, but it will encompass craft beer week. (More details soon)

If this year wasn’t too much of a F up, I would still love to organize next years event. I really would like to see a campout type event, but I’ll be glad to host at the store again too.

I see Steve is thinking of hosting. This would be great if he has room and tolerant neighbors. If not, what does everyone think of findng a private campground? I was picturing a place more out in the country with fewer neighbors. Somewhere we could still have live music, a bonfire and maybe even some pyrotechnics.

Or maybe I’m trying to add more bells and whistles then we really need?

Ed Raz
      @edraz

“Beerstock”?

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

If this year wasn’t too much of a F up, I would still love to organize next years event. I really would like to see a campout type event, but I’ll be glad to host at the store again too.

I don’t think this year was a “F up”. A lot of people spent a lot of time and energy to put on that shindig. I am extremely appreciative, and hope that there will be many more in the future… just not for Big Brew.

:beer2

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

I totally agree with Summer. I just thought the meaning of the day was lost. Didn’t like the rules about not bringing this beer that way and vice versa. Thinking the Camp out is an awesome idea. I really felt out of place this year. Not that I didn’t have a great time I just thought the rules really restricted our club from doing what we do best……Having a great time with each other, sharing food, sharing beer and just being silly.

:drunk
      Kim

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

I learned a valuable lesson this past week. Bigger is not always better!

Jeff WilhelmJeff Wilhelm
      Participant
      @jeffw

I wasn’t able to attend BBD this year to see the event unfold.

In my opinion, I think whenever a business is involved, they are looking for profit. It sounds as if this year, the Livery may have used MEGA and homebrew to attract business their way.

I believe that the event, in the eyes of homebrewers and the way AHA intended, is the focus on homebrewing. So, the event should focus on the homebrewers, and them showcasing the craft and beer that is produced. If someone commerical wants to be associated, THEY can be the visitor, Perhaps, offer some goods or “samples” at the event. This “partnership” would be more of getting more people aware of craft beer, but with the emphasis on getting people aware of their own craft beer they can make themselves.

An event like Zoo Brew, both commercial and homebrew can act together to promote better beer, but BBD, is all about the homebrew.

Anonymous

I completely agree that there was a disconnect between the home brewing aspect of BBD and the host brewery that seemed more concerned with licenses and the such, the vibe I got was almost like we were “moonshiners” doing illegal business. Not being able to share your home brews while at your brewing “station” was a complete bummer and not in the spirit of the day… back to Dave hosting next year? I will keep the remainder of any rant or displeasure about the host brewery to myself.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.