Bottle Conditioning the Quad

Home Forums Brewing Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing Bottle Conditioning the Quad

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Chuck Bergman

I plan on bottling the Quad once it is distributed.

Doing some research online, and many homebrewers have had trouble with carbonation when bottle conditioning a high alcohol brew, especially bourbon barrel projects. General consensus is that not enough yeast survives after the barrel to get decent carbonation.

Has anyone had problems bottling other barrel-project beers? Any thoughts/suggestions.

My imperial Irish ale that I brewed last spring had that problem. I only pitched one packet of yeast and the ABV was too high and killed all the yeast. Went to bottle and totally flat after 6 weeks. I opened each bottle and added a little S-05 yeast and re-capped. It worked – all the beers carbonated.

So I’m thinking of adding priming sugar to the beer, then sprinkling some yeast into each bottle before capping. Since the Quad is a high gravity beer, any suggestions on which yeast is best to use?

Jim MolerJim Moler

this quad is pretty clean and clear. what ever is in the beer still will have settled to the bottom by now.
      what we can do is bring a growler and when we get towards the bottom we can
      push that stuff into a few growlers for you and you can propigate that
      for bottles.
      just a thought.
      higher ABV beers tend to have a lower carb level anyway.
      not sure what volumes you are shooting for but I’m sure there is an app for that so you can pitch yeast back in and go that way.

Chuck Bergman

this quad is pretty clean and clear. what ever is in the beer still will have settled to the bottom by now.
      for bottles.
      just a thought.
      not sure what volumes you are shooting for but I’m sure there is an app for that so you can pitch yeast back in and go that way.

That sounds like it could work! I don’t expect alot of carbonation like you said since it is a high gravity beer. I’ll check some homebrew forums for reintroducing yeast prior to bottling.

Jim MolerJim Moler

Let me expand on my idea. and this may be a good question for our Chem.Lab
      and Yeast harvester.
      taking the slurry off the bottom of this barrel is one thing.
      but you will want to “WASH” it and re propigate it after you get it.
      this way you get healty yeasties….:beer2
      i don’t think just re pitching what you collect is a good idea.

Chuck Bergman

Good call!

Hopefully some of our yeast experts will see this topic and respond.

I don’t need much yeast for carbonation, but it does need to survive the high alcohol content.

Also, what is the plan for collecting our Quad portions?

Jim MolerJim Moler

Good call!

I don’t need much yeast for carbonation, but it does need to survive the high alcohol content.

Follow the GTS2 thread for details there.
      it’s done we can pull it anytime soon.
      all we need are kegs and bodies.
      waiting for Dave T. to set a date and we’ll pull it.
      :3cheers

• Author
      Chuck Bergman

I plan on bottling the Quad once it is distributed.

Doing some research online, and many homebrewers have had trouble with carbonation when bottle conditioning a high alcohol brew, especially bourbon barrel projects. General consensus is that not enough yeast survives after the barrel to get decent carbonation.

Has anyone had problems bottling other barrel-project beers? Any thoughts/suggestions.

My imperial Irish ale that I brewed last spring had that problem. I only pitched one packet of yeast and the ABV was too high and killed all the yeast. Went to bottle and totally flat after 6 weeks. I opened each bottle and added a little S-05 yeast and re-capped. It worked – all the beers carbonated.

So I’m thinking of adding priming sugar to the beer, then sprinkling some yeast into each bottle before capping. Since the Quad is a high gravity beer, any suggestions on which yeast is best to use?

Jim MolerJim Moler

for bottles.
      just a thought.

Chuck Bergman

for bottles.
      just a thought.

That sounds like it could work! I don’t expect alot of carbonation like you said since it is a high gravity beer. I’ll check some homebrew forums for reintroducing yeast prior to bottling.

Jim MolerJim Moler

Let me expand on my idea. and this may be a good question for our Chem.Lab
      and Yeast harvester.
      taking the slurry off the bottom of this barrel is one thing.
      but you will want to “WASH” it and re propigate it after you get it.
      this way you get healty yeasties….:beer2
      i don’t think just re pitching what you collect is a good idea.

Chuck Bergman

Good call!

Jim MolerJim Moler

Good call!

Follow the GTS2 thread for details there.
      it’s done we can pull it anytime soon.
      all we need are kegs and bodies.
      waiting for Dave T. to set a date and we’ll pull it.
      :3cheers

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.