brew station ideas

Home Forums Brewing General brew station ideas

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Fred Genslinger
      @fredmiester

Greetings and Sanitations to all my Brew buddies,
      I am looking for suggestions, ideas and input of hind sight revelation of design?. I am in the process of building a brew station. I am in the planning stage and collecting parts.
      I think what will fit my needs is a 2 tier setup mimicking Joe Palvino’s version on his youtube vid of all grain brewing, if anyone has seen it.
      I have 3 sake kegs converted to keggels, 2 80k BTU burners and a magnetic drive pump. Does anybody have a hook up on square tube steel? or have leftover stuff that you think I could use.
      Thanks,
      Fred

tettnang tom
      Participant
      @tettnang-tom

Hi Fred,

Here’s some -outside of the box- thinking:

Harbor Freight & Tools has a Steel Mesh Deck Wagon (1000 lb capacity) with 10” pneumatic tires on sale for $64.99. You could purchase this as your frame base and build up with bed frame angle iron.
      You will have room for a HLT and mash tun, and room to mount your pump. Your burner can be free standing (not attached). You can roll this sucker all over your garage or yard with 10” tires : ) The mesh surface will provide all sorts of storage, too. You would probably spend $16-20 on good casters, so that makes the price of this cart attractive.
      Just build up from the base, in tube or angle. I know you have probably researched all different kinds of the designs, so this is just an alternative. You can get bed frames (angle steel) at garage sales and free on trash days. Just use the Columbus method- search and you will find. B)

For my design, I built two freestanding separate wooden units out of 4×4 and 2×2 mtl: one for the HTL, and one mash tun. ( my boil kettle is at normal height and unattached.)
      I bought a hydraulic scissor table cart (on wheels, 500 lb cap.)from Harbor Freight. When I brew I am able to raise the height of either my HTL unit, mash tun unit, up to 27 inches high and then lower back down to the normal position.
      Here are the possible combinations: Keep HTL in low position to fill. Heat water and raise HLT to gravity feed the mash tun. After mashing, raise mash tun with scissor cart to sparge into boil kettle by gravity. etc These units stack inside each other for storage, and both can be moved with the scissor table cart to my garage storage spot with little effort.
      This design eliminates standing on a ladder and having a HTL and 170 degree above one’s head. The hydraulic table eliminates the pump and the cleaning that it takes. Just my preference, because pumps are great, too.

Good luck on your final design. Hope you post some pics when you get it done. 😉

Regards,

tt

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

Alro steel has the steel you are looking for.
      Mich Dave

Fred Genslinger
      @fredmiester

Thanks for the input Tom. I seriously pondered the wagon idea for a bit and still considering its use. I have burned up the web for weeks looking for ideas. I already have the pump secured, and as far as lifting a 170 degree HTL over my head.. ah no, I have presently been using a bottling bucket to gravity feed my mash cooler perched on a step ladder. That makes me nervous. The plan is to have a charcoal filter attached to the rear of the brew station with silicon tubing leading to it and a burner to heat it where it is. Then gravity feed the mash & sparge water. The Pump can recirculate and transfer wort to the boil kettle.

I wanted to do a single tier but I don’t want the expense of a second pump.

Keep the ideas coming…..
      Fred

Fred Genslinger
      @fredmiester

Dave, THANK YOU!! I called Alro in Niles for a quote WOW! big savings

tettnang tom
      Participant
      @tettnang-tom

Hi Fred,

Designing a brewstand is really fun. I have spent many hours sketching and thinking. Here is a website that is interesting and can be incorporated with your ideas.

http://members.aol.com/bfbrewing/BigFunBrewing.htm

Maybe you can glean some ideas and info. This fellow uses table saw stands, but has some great ideas. Perhaps you could eliminate the saw stands and just build your single level brew table with pump. I’ve seen guys use quick disconnects to move hoses all over the stand so you can use your pump multifunctionally. I believe Denny Conn has a layout of his hose/pump/HTL/MT/Kettle connections. It all depends on how exotic and geeky you want to get. I’m not a computer programmer or electrical engineer, so I prefer the historical method, but without the backbreak or danger. I don’t have a welder or bandsaw, so I use my carpenter tools. I can modify much easier with a screw gun and deck screws.

At any rate, have fun with it. You will probably still tinker with it after you get it built.

tt

tettnang tom
      Participant
      @tettnang-tom

Fred,

Here is another site with great ideas which can be modified to a brew table. Some great recipes and gadget ideas, too.

http://www.schwedhelm.net/brew/index.html

tt

Chip Lewis
      @iechyd-da

Or, how about the metal shelving units they sell at Menards. Something like this.

Jeff WilhelmJeff Wilhelm
      Participant
      @jeffw

How about posting a pic of your set-up, Tom?

Jeff WilhelmJeff Wilhelm
      Participant
      @jeffw

There are so many ways to build these. I am have some pretty cool ones in BYO issues and all over the Net. Here is a link to Sabco’s Brew Magic, which is more of a horizontal system. Jimtown Dave has one of these systems.

Sabco’s Brew Magic

tettnang tom
      Participant
      @tettnang-tom

Jeff,

I’ll take a few pics during brew day coming up. Or come by and get a glass of CAP on the side. B)

tt

tettnang tom
      Participant
      @tettnang-tom

http://www.breweryconstructionguide.com/intro.html

Another great setup with detailed plans and parts list.

tt

Fred Genslinger
      @fredmiester

LMAO, yeah although I have considered a all gravity system without the use of pumps and even considered making the frame just like that one out of wood. As a firefighter I have a problem with having burners that close to wood frame. I would never live it down if it caught fire.

tettnang tom
      Participant
      @tettnang-tom

Fred,

LMAO, too! Just modify the drawing to steel. I copied the website because it had great controllers.

Come to think of it, I need to get a fire extinguisher. I would sure hate to put out a burning brew stand with 5 gallons of APA from a corney. 😉

tt

tettnang tom
      Participant
      @tettnang-tom

Actually, I have my hose set up next to brew station for a variety of tasks. I have angle iron holding up my burner and plenty of space to vent heat away. I think it is pretty safe, and I never leave it unattended. 🙂

tt

tettnang tom
      Participant
      @tettnang-tom

Hi Fred,

I didn’t mean to sound flippant in previous remarks. All joking aside, house fires are serious business, as you can attest. Sorry if I offended.

We could probably start a new thread on **Stupid Things* we have seen about brewing.

For example, posted on one website is a picture that shows a garage brew setup with the Hot Liquor Tank bracketed to the wall six feet in the air. Besides having his heat source on the wall, this brewer has scalding water in a kettle all weighing about 70-90 pounds probably lagged bolting into 2×4 framing without any special reinforcement. Unbelievable! Somebody could get killed with that setup. Hopefully not some kid. The lawyers would have a field day.

It’s great to have a club to share ideas in a friendly way. Thanks for you good input.

Tom

Fred Genslinger
      @fredmiester

Tom,
      No offense ever taken. If we can’t laugh and laugh at ourselves, then what’s it all about. specially firemen, sometimes we get pretty cruel to each other.

OMG I saw that same picture of that rig. I couldn’t believe someone could be so dumb. Sorry but that is dumb. Stupid hurts!

Fred

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.