Fixing Off Flavor = Keg Bomb

Home Forums Brewing Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing Fixing Off Flavor = Keg Bomb

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Chuck Bergman

Wasn’t sure what title to use for this post. But I wanted to share a “learning experience.”

Brewed an English ESB – fermented for 9 days
        Did notice that it was not an aggressive fermention – few bubble in airlock and not much krausen
        BUT, I did hit my FG, so figured yeast did its job
        Transferred to secondary and tasted great
        In secondary for 7 days then kegged – noticed a buttery flavor when transferring (diacetyl)
        Tasted again after carbonating for 7 days – still buttery

After researching online, decided to pitch more yeast to clean-up the diacetyl. Brought keg into house and let warm-up to room temp. for 3 days. Gassed out and opened lid to confirm temp. It was 67 degrees, so pitched some hydrated dry yeast (S-04). Started to stir, and KEG BOMB.

It just started foaming out of the keg all over the floor. Finally stopped and really only lost about 1/2 gallon at most. Pitched more yeast, no foaming, and sealed up keg. Replaced gas lock with air lock and hopefully it will re-ferment and clean-up the diacetyl.

LESSON: I should have gassed out over a few days to de-carbonate the beer. I didn’t take into consideration that beer still had CO2 in it when pitching. LESSON LEARNED + had to wash a blanket I had wrapped around the keg, 3 bath towels for clean-up and had to shampoo area rug that was in the room. Luckily it was on a tile floor. Wife would have killed me if I had done this on carpet!

Patrick Mousaw

Even the amount of pressure exerted by an airlock, which isn’t much, will increase the amount of dissolve CO2 in the beer. If you add something that creates nucleation sites for bubbles, like yeast or dry hop pellets, this can lead to excessive foaming and blow off. Another approach could be to add just a bit of the yeast, hops, or other additives and monitor for foaming. Once the initial foaming event occurs, adding the rest should be safe.

Chuck Bergman

Yeah after the initial blow-off I was able to add the yeast. It has been 4 days, so I’m checking tonight to see if any improvement. I figured I’ll just pull some beer using my picnic tap. If I get some traub and cloudy beer, then I know the yeast has been fermenting – and hopefully removed the buttery flavor. If crystal clear, then chances are not enough sugars left in beer for the yeast to activate. Fingers crossed!

• Author
      Chuck Bergman

Wasn’t sure what title to use for this post. But I wanted to share a “learning experience.”

Brewed an English ESB – fermented for 9 days
        Did notice that it was not an aggressive fermention – few bubble in airlock and not much krausen
        BUT, I did hit my FG, so figured yeast did its job
        Transferred to secondary and tasted great
        In secondary for 7 days then kegged – noticed a buttery flavor when transferring (diacetyl)
        Tasted again after carbonating for 7 days – still buttery

After researching online, decided to pitch more yeast to clean-up the diacetyl. Brought keg into house and let warm-up to room temp. for 3 days. Gassed out and opened lid to confirm temp. It was 67 degrees, so pitched some hydrated dry yeast (S-04). Started to stir, and KEG BOMB.

It just started foaming out of the keg all over the floor. Finally stopped and really only lost about 1/2 gallon at most. Pitched more yeast, no foaming, and sealed up keg. Replaced gas lock with air lock and hopefully it will re-ferment and clean-up the diacetyl.

LESSON: I should have gassed out over a few days to de-carbonate the beer. I didn’t take into consideration that beer still had CO2 in it when pitching. LESSON LEARNED + had to wash a blanket I had wrapped around the keg, 3 bath towels for clean-up and had to shampoo area rug that was in the room. Luckily it was on a tile floor. Wife would have killed me if I had done this on carpet!

Patrick Mousaw

Even the amount of pressure exerted by an airlock, which isn’t much, will increase the amount of dissolve CO2 in the beer. If you add something that creates nucleation sites for bubbles, like yeast or dry hop pellets, this can lead to excessive foaming and blow off. Another approach could be to add just a bit of the yeast, hops, or other additives and monitor for foaming. Once the initial foaming event occurs, adding the rest should be safe.

Chuck Bergman

Yeah after the initial blow-off I was able to add the yeast. It has been 4 days, so I’m checking tonight to see if any improvement. I figured I’ll just pull some beer using my picnic tap. If I get some traub and cloudy beer, then I know the yeast has been fermenting – and hopefully removed the buttery flavor. If crystal clear, then chances are not enough sugars left in beer for the yeast to activate. Fingers crossed!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.