HELP!!!

Home Forums Brewing General HELP!!!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Fred Genslinger
      @fredmiester

Oh experienced Ones… I have just racked my first AG to the keg and it has an off tastes and wondering if yall can help figure out what went wrong. It has a BLAH!!!! band aid/medicine taste. It has nice amber color, not to cloudy and nice rich head. Most internet research says, The cause are various phenols which are initially produced by the yeast. Chlorophenols result from the reaction of chlorine-based sanitizers (bleach) with phenol compounds or over sparging. The set up.. a Belgium honey wheat ale. It was a 2 stage mash. 30 min @ 122 degrees and 45 min @ 154 degrees then mash out @ 170-180 degrees. The OG was 1.044 and the FG was 1.014. I used a liquid belgium ale yeast. The fist stage ferment was slow, started by day 3 and bubbled for 6 days. I racked it to a carboy for a week and it clear up very nicely. I racked it to a corney & filled w/ CO2 hopefully purged off all the oxygen. it sat in the keg for about 5 days before I had room in my kegerator. Tastes like crap! what did I do? I don’t use bleach and I use clean technique. I think bad yeast or could I have over sparged? I gave a sample to B.J. waiting for his analysis but I’d like to ask the group as well.
      Fred

Chip Lewis
      @iechyd-da

I’d give it some time and let it age. I’ve experienced some weird flavors from Belgian yeast when the beer is still green.

Fred Genslinger
      @fredmiester

Chip, how long do you think? its been over 3 weeks? from what I’ve read it should be drinkble after 2 weeks. It soooo ain’t lol oh boy, I can’t do more than a tiny sip. Although it is a smidge better after I force carbonated it in the kegerator for 24 hrs and only a very tiny smidge.

Chip Lewis
      @iechyd-da

Well I personally go 5-6 weeks on all my beers before I start to drink. Even though they’re ready to drink in 2 weeks they’ll be at there best if you wait longer. I know it’s painful but try to just stash that keg away in a cool corner and brew some more to take your mind off of it.

Fred Genslinger
      @fredmiester

Damn it Bobby! oh, ok…. So you think it may be ok then? I’ve tasted your brews so I trust your opinion. Next question, if I let the Belgium sit for 5-6 weeks. I have a cream ale one week in secondary. I only have room for 1 corney in my kegerator. Is it ok to take the belgium out of the fridge and sit it in a cool corner?

Chip Lewis
      @iechyd-da

Sure, no problem. I haven’t found it to be a problem. Although I try not to do it more than once per keg. I only have room for 2 kegs in my kegerator and sometimes I feel like a change before either keg is empty.

If the flavor doesn’t go away with some aging then I think we’ll have to look at maybe either an infection or the chlorine in tap water if you’re in the city as possibilities.

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

I brewed an oatmeal stout last year, that had a medicinal/band-aid-like taste. I kept trying to drink it over the next couple of weeks, but finally had to admit that it was contaminated. Down the drain it went.

A buddy bought the kit and brought it over for me to brew. I neglected to tell him to get liquid yeast (which is all I have ever used). I did a quick study on using dry yeast, mid-brew. I am pretty sure that while the yeast was sitting around re-hydrating that some funk came to the party.

That was my only contaminated batch to date (30+ so far), and I am pretty sure it was due to my (drunken) ill-handling of the dry yeast.

I hope yours clears up, but there was no hope for mine.

:-be

Fred Genslinger
      @fredmiester

How long will the liquid yeast fair unrefrigerated?
      Pondering this singular situation. Prior to brewing this tainted cervesa, I sent my wife to Quality Wine & Beer with the grain & supply list. Well she has just admitted to me while discussing what I may have done wrong with this batch. She had picked up my beer supplies, put it in the trunk and run some errands in Goshen. So basically the yeast was in her trunk for at least an hour to an hour & a half then re-refrigerated until brew day. Could this be the problem?:S
      Fred-

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

Doubtful.
      Heat shouldn’t contribute to contamination, just viability, I believe. I had a tube sit at my front door for about 6hrs in 90deg heat last summer, and it still proofed.

If the tube/package was sealed then I wouldn’t expect the yeast to be the cause.

More likely some funk that fell outta the air before the yeast was able to dominate. Do you usually make a starter?

:T

Fred Genslinger
      @fredmiester

Crap… Thought I had something to blame it on. Im pretty sensitive being the rookie. I hope Chip has the answer that it just needs to age some more. I haven’t yet use a stater. I just pitch it straight from the tube. I saw a couple vids on youtube how to make a starter. It don’t look that tricky.

Chip Lewis
      @iechyd-da

I agree with Andy, I doubt heat caused the problem. It might be the lag time that it took for your yeast to take off. I try really hard not to pitch straight from those tubes. 99% of the time I’ll make a starter, and if I really have no choice I’ll pitch 2 tubes.

Fred Genslinger
      @fredmiester

The real bummer is that I’m out if real beer…., so sad. even my cream ale in secondary has 3 lbs of honey in it and will need to sit oooooooooh about another month 🙁

Looks like I’m gonna have to bring a corney to the Mishawaka Brewery to make it through.

Thanks for the help all. Guess I will wait it out and see if it improves.

Anonymous

okay, it’s taken me a couple days to get to your sample Fred but I’ve got it sitting in front of me now…..

I’m picking up a HUGE banana nose but that’s probably from the yeast and that is not necessarily a bad thing for a Belgian wheat right? Maybe a tad bit of phenol but not much. since it’s been a couple days the carbonation is gone but even at that I don’t think this beer is undrinkable. I say give this beer 2 or 3 weeks carbonated/conditioned in a keg and you’ll have yourself a drinkable summertime brew.

Fred Genslinger
      @fredmiester

HUGE banana nose eh? LOL. Well now that it has been in the kegerator & forced carbonated for 5 days it smells like beer now and the taste is still a bit like a band aid, but getting a little better. Shuuuu Weeeee, I’m sure glad I have found this brew club and a great bunch of folks so willing to help the rookie. I just wish I knew the characteristics of brewing a wheat beer ahead of time. That kinda shook my confidence. I will give it till the end of the month before I pitch it and chalk it up to lessons learned. See ya all on Sunday…………

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.