Kegerator question

Home Forums Brewing General Kegerator question

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Patrick Mousaw
      @pmousaw

I just inherited a very old Perlick kegerator. I plugged it in and after 24 hours it got down to about 36 C but the thing ran for the whole 24 hours straight. I’m thinking it probably needs a fill of coolant, but I’m also pretty sure the system is R12. Anyone know any refrigeration/AC guys who might be able to help?

Gruver, I’m pretty sure it’s the same model kegerator as you have. I saw you had posted on it on another beer forum when I was searching online.

Jim MolerJim Moler
      @jimjart

Well Patrick, the one that Gruver has in his Garage that was ours at one point, has a GLYCOL unit inside the right panel where the temp. controller display would be if you have one. you may have to do some web searching based on the actual model # of the fridge to see how it chills. hope this helps.

Eddie Hoskin
      Spectator
      @radicaled

Hmmm, I got a refrigeration cert years ago, but currently don’t have any equipment for it.

There are a few replacement refrigerants that play nice in a R-12 system; the issue moreover is that refrigeration systems typically are not designed to be worked on. When built, the manufacturer draws the initial vacuum, and subsequently fills with refrigerant, via a T in the system. When the filling is done, the T is crimped tight, cut, and brazed closed, leaving no access point. It’s a once-and-done system, not intended for later work. It _can_ be worked on, but really needs a pro to do it.

But, just to check, you say your system got down to 36C…is that a mistake? That’s 96.8ºF. 36ºF, on the other hand, is actually perfect for a kegerator. If you’re pulling 36ºF, leave it well enough alone!

Patrick Mousaw
      @pmousaw

Eddie, yes, 36 C is a typo. I work in C all day, so I often write C when I mean F otherwise. You may be able to relate, although I do not know if a nuclear power plant tends to work in English or metric units.

My concern is that the kegerator got down to under 40 F after about 18 hours, but the compressor didn’t shut off at all. I am concerned if the compressor is constantly running I will have problems. First, it will shorten the life of the compressor. Second, my electricity bill will be through the roof.

I just cleaned the coils much better than I had the first time around (first tried vacuum but a lot of dust was still around, sprayed it down with a cleaning solution the second time around and it seemed to knock down a lot more dust and grime). I just plugged it in again tonight. I’ll see how it is in the morning. Hopefully, the dust/dirt was causing issues with the heat transfer and the unit will run like a dream. I don’t know if I’ll be so lucky…

Eddie Hoskin
      Spectator
      @radicaled

Ah yes, the good old too-clogged-to-work issue. Let us know how that works.

But yes, if it otherwise is running continuously, and not getting really cold, then it is quite likely that you have sprung a small leak in the system. Which maaaaay be repairable, may not be. You’re best bet at that point is to call a service technician and ask if they can come to you and repair it, but you’ll be looking at probably $100-150 for the service.

Patrick Mousaw
      @pmousaw

I’m resurrecting this thread I created back in August.  I didn’t realize I’ve had this kegerator sitting around so long…

After fiddling around with it more, my troubleshooting seemed to indicate low coolant.  I found a replacement refrigerant that plays nice with R-12 online and received it today.  After fumbling around not realizing there was a needle valve in the low end pressure piping and wasting one of the cans of the 3 I had ordered, I finally figured it out about the needle valve.  The next trick was opening the needle valve.  I was trying to loosen it for a few minutes and it wasn’t budging.  Then it occurred to me it might be left-hand threaded.  Lo and behold, I tried it the opposite direction and it moved easily.  The pressure gauge picked it up and was reading basically 0 psi on the low side.

I filled it with the refrigerant and waited for the compressor to kick off.  Sure enough, it did, and probably within 15 minutes of me getting the system charged up.

I’m crossing my fingers that there are no leaks.  If there are, the same place I got the refrigerant from offers stop leak for this refrigerant, so I guess that’ll be my next order.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.