Kegerator questions

Home Forums Brewing Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing Kegerator questions

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is doing well in Indiana. New job is going really well. Sadie and I both love Austin. Austin Homebrew Supply is impressive in person. The only other local store I have seen so nice is the brand new Northern Brewer in Milwaukee.

Anyway, we are living in an apartment. Which poses problems for brewing. I am working around that, but am tiring of all the bottles. Kegging seems more compact, and I know it is easier to clean and fill one keg instead of 50 bottles no matter where you live.

I want a kegerator! But I only have room for a dorm fridge sized unit. I have seen Andy’s two tap, and I liked it. It would be perfect in my apartment. This guy here is only a 30 minute drive to pick up:

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=186

Is this a good price? It seems to be a complete package. Or would I be better off piecing it together myself? If I can only save like $50 or $100 piecing it together, I would rather not and just buy the package. I don’t have work space in my apartment. I could go to a friends house if I had to, but would have no experienced party on hand to assist.

Thanks,
      Keith

Chip Lewis
      @iechyd-da

Hi keith,
      That’s a nice complete package. You might be able to save a little if you have Sam’s Clubs down in Texas. Sam’s has a single tap kegerator for $438. You can turn it into a two tap with a $149 tower from Austin Homebrew and a couple corny keg disconnects. Or keep it single tap for now, you just need to remove the sanke tap and replace with a corney keg QD. The tower change out should be very easy and you can also watch for those kegerators to go on sale.

You will need kegs too, I would start with 4. I get mine from Pedalbiker on Homebrew talk forum, about $120 for 4 shipped.

-Chip

tettnang tom
      Participant
      @tettnang-tom

Hi Keith,

Glad to hear that you and Sadie are settled in and things are going well.

Another approach on kegging: Try contacting a reputable used appliance dealer/seller who repairs refrigerators. They go over the unit and know what it needs. This is a safer bet than the want ads. Usually you get a 30 day guarantee. Stick with an American brand rather than the junk that is coming over from China. I was able to pick up a G.E. side by side 22 cu ft for $150. I had to clean it up and it had a few pieces of trim missing, but nothing major. I ordered Perlick forward seal faucets from Amazon.com for $24. The Creamer Perlick is 27.50. Not too much mess to drill holes in the door. I can fit four corneys in it with shelves removed, and I have the freezer side to store hops and frozen food. You should be able to get set up for under $200. This depends if you have the room in your apartment and if you live on a ground floor, or want to muscle it up some stairs. At any rate, you will really appreciate the ease of kegging.

Stay in touch and let us know about your keg setup.
      Regards,
      Tettnang Tom :cc

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

Hi Keith & Sadie!!!
      Missed you 2 around the bonfire…
      Just got back from The Dells w/fam. Talked to some trees that claimed to know you. I have my doubts… I have had more than one bad experience after listening to the dubious claims of an elm tree.

You should be able to get a single tap tower on a dorm-style fridge for $400-$450… but it may take a bit of patience. I see them for this price around here fairly regularly (60-90 days).
      I gave $450 for mine (Haier) with a single standard tap, 5lb CO2 tank & regulator, and a used corny (1/2 full of gnarly beer). It was a yr old and barely used, with all the original paperwork. I added the double-tap tower and perlicks later.
      You need this. It will change your whole program.

:bs

Jim MolerJim Moler
      @jimjart

keep a close Eye on Craigs list and HBT (Home brew Talk)
      stuff for sale all the time.
      I picked up a Small apartment style fridge it holds
      3 kegs.
      I know having a small apartment,extra space is an issue.
      good luck.
      another option is a small cube chest freezer with a digi
      temp controller and a hole in the lid for a 4 or 5 tap
      system.could also double as a lagering cooler.

:-d :bb

Steve Gruver
      Participant
      @gruversm

Jim Moler wrote:

keep a close Eye on Craigs list and HBT (Home brew Talk)
      stuff for sale all the time.
      I picked up a Small apartment style fridge it holds
      3 kegs.
      I know having a small apartment,extra space is an issue.
      good luck.
      another option is a small cube chest freezer with a digi
      temp controller and a hole in the lid for a 4 or 5 tap
      system.could also double as a lagering cooler.

I now know why my kegs are missing 😉

tettnang tom
      Participant
      @tettnang-tom

:woohoo: :X :angry: 👿 :whistle: :-b

Jim MolerJim Moler
      @jimjart

Steve Gruver wrote:
      I now know why my kegs are missing 😉

Some how I doubt that.you’re a Music Teacher
      they can only count to 3 or 4.:P
      we have way more than that.
      :cc

tettnang tom
      Participant
      @tettnang-tom

Steve knows . . . .

Take Five 5/4

or

6/8

The sound of boiling wort is music to the ears!

:ds

tt

tettnang tom
      Participant
      @tettnang-tom

Take Five 5/4

or

6/8

The sound of boiling wort is music to the ears!

:ds

tt

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.