Molassas vs. Treacle

Home Forums Brewing General Molassas vs. Treacle

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

Well I did a side by side taste test. I found there is little difference, but, there is a difference. To me Treacle seemed a little more bitter and spicy. Molassas (black strap) seemed to have more licorice accents.

I will bring both to the next meeting or get together. In the meantime I’ll try this test a few more times and maybe use different techniques.

I dipped seperate tooth picks into them and spread the black goo from one side to the other on my tongue. Rinsing well between each.

More soon,
      Mich Dave

Jim MolerJim Moler
      @jimjart

I dipped seperate tooth picks into them and spread the black goo from one side to the other on my tongue. Rinsing well between each.

More soon,
      Mich Dave

Thanks Dave for testing these. I’m sure alot uf us
      are happy to take your word for it.
      I’ll bring the sand paper and and nose plugs:woohoo: :blush: to the next meeting.
      :T

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

Jim,
      Something tells me you don’t like Treacle or Molassas. You really should try either in a brew.
      Mich Dave

Steve Gruver
      Participant
      @gruversm

Dave McVeigh wrote:

Jim,
      Something tells me you don’t like Treacle or Molassas. You really should try either in a brew.
      Mich Dave

Jim is a sour puss. Don’t listen to him 😉

tettnang tom
      Participant
      @tettnang-tom

Sounds like you could brew up a great batch of Old Peculier!

Ingredients

12lbs Brittish 2 row barley(all grain) or 9 lbs amber malt extract
      8 oz. crystal malt
      8 oz. roasted barley
      2 lb. dark brown sugar
      3 oz. blackstrap molasses
      2 oz. fuggles hops
      London ale yeast(liquid) or good quality dry English ale yeast(such as Whitbread) 14 grams

For all grain-mash the grains at 150 degrees for one hour.
      Malt extract- steep grains for 30 minutes,remove grains, add malt extract. At the boil, add molasses, brown sugar, and hops. Boil for one hour.
      When cool, add yeast,ferment, age one month. :ds

tt

P.S. The legendary status of Theakstons Old Peculier has once again been re-enforced after scooping the coveted title of Champion Beer of Yorkshire, at the Rotherham Oakwood 2007 Real Ale Festival. The CAMRA backed Oakwood Real Ale & Music Festival is an annual charitable fund-raising event in support of Rotherham children and is one of the region’s biggest events, attracting over 10,000 visitors.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.