Pasteurizing moldy beer – questions

Home Forums Brewing General Pasteurizing moldy beer – questions

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

I just discovered I’ve got a grayish white mold growing on the top of a batch in secondary. My thoughts are to syphon all but the top inch out of the carboy and re-heat it to about 165 degrees for about 15 minutes. Then I’ll transfer it to a corny and cover it in ice to cool it quickly before refridgerating it. My other idea was to crush a couple chlorine dioxide tabs into the brew after transfering to a corny.

Any thoughts, suggestions, advice, etc.? Its about 3:00 now and I plan on doing this soon, in about 2 hours, so I need any replies ASAP.

Thanks in advance,
      Mich Dave

Anonymous

im not as well versed as you guys are but id try to heat it up to kill and mold in it
      then try it to see if its ok after cooling
      so kinda up to you what to do Dave

Russ :hh

Chip Lewis
      @iechyd-da

If you have any campden tablets, potassium metabisuphite, those should work.

tettnang tom
      Participant
      @tettnang-tom

Dave,

I’m with Chip’s idea.

I would add 1/2 to 2/3 teaspoon potassium metabisulfate crushed. Add crush to a little room temp boiled water before you stir in your re-racked secondary with a sanitized spoon. this will act as a bactericide.

If you get a chance when you rerack into another corney, draw off a cup to smell and taste. If it is skunked, you will know. If not just add the k meta and give it a wait.

(I wouldn’t use the wine formula for using potassium bisulfate –of one tablet per gallon, you might get some serious off flavors with So2)

tt :whistle:

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

Thanks Chip and Tom. I already used the non-chemical way of pasterizing. Not to mention, if I got the suggestions early enough, I wouldn’t have had the metasulfide anyway.

Mich Dave

tettnang tom
      Participant
      @tettnang-tom

Dave,

Not to worry. As we both know, people have been drinking beer for centuries without refrigeration, pasteurization, or chemicals. Even hops came along later.

You just might have a CLASSIC version of brew heaven on your hands.

tt :-ch

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.