Solvent like taste after a year?

Home Forums Brewing General Solvent like taste after a year?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

I decided to tap a glass of the Gulden Draak clone I brewed a year or so ago. As I brought the glass to my nose, there was a very intense alcohol smell. I thought it must have continued fermenting over the last year of storage. After tasting it, I think that must be what’s happened. It was STRONG! Most of the flavor was gone or changed. One of the flavors was a distict solvent like taste, but not alcohol. Kinda paint thinner like. Needless to say I dumped to rest of the keg. (less then a gallon)

My question is: Does anyone know what that solvent flavor was and how it got there? Is this common when a high alcohol brew sets for a year? Any info would be appreciated.

Mich Dave

PS. I kinda wish I would have saved some for the meeting. Then if anyone needed to smell or taste it to answer the questions they could. (If they dare)

Anonymous

Thats what my apple cider was like after a month. I thought about selling it at the next top fuel event in Joliet!It’s probably some kind of bacteria that does it.

Tim Sovine
      @mustangbrew

Yeah, it’s usually a bacterial infection that causes that. You might have missed sanitizing a bottle or two or had a cap that wasn’t seated properly. I’ve had it happen a couple times too.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.