Wort chiller recommendations

Home Forums Brewing Extract/Partial Grain Wort chiller recommendations

This topic contains 9 replies, has 1,596 voices, and was last updated by  Sean Dolgos 4 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Looking to buy my first wort chiller and wanted to ask for advice. I currently do extract and partial grain in 5 gallon batches. I eventually want to go to 15 gallon full grain so I would like something that could be used on that as well, but do not want to sacrifice efficiency on my 5 gallon batches.

I have been looking at plate heat exchangers but also would consider a counter flow hose type. As always I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sean

Adam Meyer

1st, if you go Immersion Chiller, make your own and go big.

I have been looking at the same issues. I am already making 5-10 gallon all grain batches. My first question would be, when do you look at getting a March or Chugger pump with you system? The pumps help out alot on the Counter flow or on the Plate chillers. If you don’t have much intention on getting a pump soon I would say save some money, do a DIY Immersion chiller that is oversized for your system. This can keep cost low and they work well.

Many of our long time members with very nice rigs still have and use Immersion chillers.

Was not planning on using a pump at this time, but I do see where that would help me to modulate the flow rate of the wort to allow it to chill faster. Any recommendations on a pump? I would want something that I could use later when I ramp up to 15 gallons.

Will look at immersion chillers for the time being. I will probably buy rather than make unless I cannot find one with a large enough coil diameter.

Thanks,

Sean

Think I am going to buy one of the Wasp from Jaded.
    http://jadedbrewing.com/collections/frontpage/products

Has anyone heard of these?

Thanks,

Sean

Jim Moler
    Jim Moler

Going big on an immersion chiller now
    So long as it fits your pot will allow wort to chill faster
    Which is what you want. Having a CF or plate chiller will require a pump to push wort.
    Allowing you to adjust flow rate of water and wort to make sure you end up with 69-70 degree wort
    Plate chillers have issues with hops plugging up the channels inside
    If you don’t bag or screen the hops well.
    IMO a cf chiller is better. Higher flow rate
    Just as good heat transfer. And super easy to clean and sanitize.

There are Lots if DIY videos and threads to get you all the info you need to build your own if you want.

Chuck Bergman

Hey Sean,

That Wasp chiller looks interesting! It’s only 1/4″ diameter, but the extra bends and twists must allow more uniform contact with the wort.

I’m only brewing 5gal batches so made a DIY wort chiller with 3/8″ copper tubing and other parts. Total cost was around $30.

If you are planning 10-15gal batches then the materials to build your own chiller may be as much or more than the Wasp. Make sure you measure your pots and compare to dimensions of the chiller – it may not fit in a 7-9gal brew pot.

Thanks to everyone for your input. Definitely not going to use a plate chillers it sounds like too much trouble to clean at this time. I like the idea of the Cf as you can modulate flow to increase the time the wort is allowed to be cooled. Stil not sure if I am giving up on the idea of the wasp though. The price is right in comparison to a CF. Any idea of how quickly the CF can bring the wort to pitching temp?

Adam Meyer

While Jim is correct to a point I will state something. CF and Plate chillers should have a pump, I have seen people use gravity. You loose some control and that is why you should have a pump.

Steve Gruver
    Participant

While Jim is correct to a point I will state something. CF and Plate chillers should have a pump, I have seen people use gravity. You loose some control and that is why you should have a pump.

I agree with AdamM: If you are going to use a plate chiller (i.e. Therminator or Shirron, etc..) you will need to use a pump to assure that ALL of your wort goes through the chiller. While the plate chiller is the most efficient, the CF design is not as expensive and is easy to build.
    :german

So I went with the wasp and ordered it last night. I sent them a follow up email asking for an estimated delivery date as I want to brew this weekend. They responded to tell me that they were upgrading my shipping so I could have it here this weekend for my brew day.

Will let you all know how well it works when done. Thanks for all the input.

Sean

• Author

Looking to buy my first wort chiller and wanted to ask for advice. I currently do extract and partial grain in 5 gallon batches. I eventually want to go to 15 gallon full grain so I would like something that could be used on that as well, but do not want to sacrifice efficiency on my 5 gallon batches.

I have been looking at plate heat exchangers but also would consider a counter flow hose type. As always I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sean

Adam Meyer

1st, if you go Immersion Chiller, make your own and go big.

I have been looking at the same issues. I am already making 5-10 gallon all grain batches. My first question would be, when do you look at getting a March or Chugger pump with you system? The pumps help out alot on the Counter flow or on the Plate chillers. If you don’t have much intention on getting a pump soon I would say save some money, do a DIY Immersion chiller that is oversized for your system. This can keep cost low and they work well.

Many of our long time members with very nice rigs still have and use Immersion chillers.

Was not planning on using a pump at this time, but I do see where that would help me to modulate the flow rate of the wort to allow it to chill faster. Any recommendations on a pump? I would want something that I could use later when I ramp up to 15 gallons.

Will look at immersion chillers for the time being. I will probably buy rather than make unless I cannot find one with a large enough coil diameter.

Thanks,

Sean

Think I am going to buy one of the Wasp from Jaded.
    http://jadedbrewing.com/collections/frontpage/products

Has anyone heard of these?

Thanks,

Sean

Jim Moler
    Jim Moler

Going big on an immersion chiller now
    So long as it fits your pot will allow wort to chill faster
    Which is what you want. Having a CF or plate chiller will require a pump to push wort.
    Allowing you to adjust flow rate of water and wort to make sure you end up with 69-70 degree wort
    Plate chillers have issues with hops plugging up the channels inside
    If you don’t bag or screen the hops well.
    IMO a cf chiller is better. Higher flow rate
    Just as good heat transfer. And super easy to clean and sanitize.

There are Lots if DIY videos and threads to get you all the info you need to build your own if you want.

Chuck Bergman

Hey Sean,

That Wasp chiller looks interesting! It’s only 1/4″ diameter, but the extra bends and twists must allow more uniform contact with the wort.

I’m only brewing 5gal batches so made a DIY wort chiller with 3/8″ copper tubing and other parts. Total cost was around $30.

If you are planning 10-15gal batches then the materials to build your own chiller may be as much or more than the Wasp. Make sure you measure your pots and compare to dimensions of the chiller – it may not fit in a 7-9gal brew pot.

Thanks to everyone for your input. Definitely not going to use a plate chillers it sounds like too much trouble to clean at this time. I like the idea of the Cf as you can modulate flow to increase the time the wort is allowed to be cooled. Stil not sure if I am giving up on the idea of the wasp though. The price is right in comparison to a CF. Any idea of how quickly the CF can bring the wort to pitching temp?

Adam Meyer

Steve Gruver
    Participant

I agree with AdamM: If you are going to use a plate chiller (i.e. Therminator or Shirron, etc..) you will need to use a pump to assure that ALL of your wort goes through the chiller. While the plate chiller is the most efficient, the CF design is not as expensive and is easy to build.
    :german

So I went with the wasp and ordered it last night. I sent them a follow up email asking for an estimated delivery date as I want to brew this weekend. They responded to tell me that they were upgrading my shipping so I could have it here this weekend for my brew day.

Will let you all know how well it works when done. Thanks for all the input.

Sean

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.