Yeast Bank

Home Forums Brewing General Yeast Bank

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Adam Meyer
      Spectator

So, I know that I passed along a Spotted Cow to our local IUSB yeast guru to help start our yeast bank.

Are we continuing on with this? I just rinsed my yeast cake from a Pale Ale using US-05 and have a healthy yeast cake of it.

Rinsing yeast is extremely easy as long as you take all sanitation measures into account. If you have yeast that is not an easy one to get ahold of I would suggest rinsing it and saving it.

This can easily save you $5-$15 dollars on a brew day depending on the yeast you are using and how big of a batch you are making.

If we are not going to build up a yeast bank than I will just do it at home and not worry to much.

Jim MolerJim Moler

So, I know that I passed along a Spotted Cow to our local IUSB yeast guru to help start our yeast bank.

Are we continuing on with this? I just rinsed my yeast cake from a Pale Ale using US-05 and have a healthy yeast cake of it.

Rinsing yeast is extremely easy as long as you take all sanitation measures into account. If you have yeast that is not an easy one to get ahold of I would suggest rinsing it and saving it.

This can easily save you $5-$15 dollars on a brew day depending on the yeast you are using and how big of a batch you are making.

If we are not going to build up a yeast bank than I will just do it at home and not worry to much.

Thanks Adam,
      it’s my understanding our Yeasy Guru is leaving IUSB for another position somewhere in the midwest. but I don’t know when that will be.
      or if she is passing on the bank to someone at IUSB.
      I’d say for now wash and keep your own bank and if we get a chance to go further with IUSB then we can pull our resources and build from that.

:oops

• Author
      Adam Meyer
      Spectator

Jim MolerJim Moler

Thanks Adam,
      it’s my understanding our Yeasy Guru is leaving IUSB for another position somewhere in the midwest. but I don’t know when that will be.
      or if she is passing on the bank to someone at IUSB.
      I’d say for now wash and keep your own bank and if we get a chance to go further with IUSB then we can pull our resources and build from that.

:oops

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.