Yeast behavour

Home Forums Brewing General Yeast behavour

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

Memorial weekend I brewed a Hopslam clone using yeast I cultured from a couple bottles of Hopslam. I added olive oil instead of oxygen. It started bubbling almost immediately. (1 bubble every 30 seconds) By the next morning it was bubbling about once every second. Now that its been several days, I’ve noticed that it bubbles faster in the morning and slower at night. I’m guessing that is because the temp in the morning is 58-62 and at night is 70-74. Does this mean the yeast is a lager or bottom yeast? I suspect that it is for this reason and the fact that it is working so slowly. In the past I’ve always (except once) used ale yeast and always seen alot more activity. At the peak bubbling I usually can’t count the bubbles easily. This batch has never gone faster then about 75 bubbles per minute. (morning) At night, when the house is warmer, the fastest has been about 45 bubbles per minute. I plan on moving the carboy into my bathroom where I’ll close the heat vent and open the window.
      Mich Dave

Fred Genslinger
      @fredmiester

hopslam clone, yum! would ya like to share that recipe?

Jeff WilhelmJeff Wilhelm
      Participant
      @jeffw

I’ve read an article using olive oil in a recent BYO. But, what is your method?

Fred Genslinger
      @fredmiester

I read the same article, not really sure if I wanna try it yet till I hear more local results. Being a medic of course I oxygenate with medical O2 and a air stone.

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

Fred Genslinger wrote:

hopslam clone, yum! would ya like to share that recipe?

I’m working on the recipe with this batch. I never found one searching the ‘net. After I transfer out of primary, I’ll see if I have the grain bill close and try to adjust if necessary with a small addition to the secondary. The same goes for the dry hopping. If this works out, I’ll be glad to share the recipe I came up with.

Mich Dave

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

Jeff Wilhelm wrote:

I’ve read an article using olive oil in a recent BYO. But, what is your method?

One of these days I’ll have to subscribe to BYO. I use a tooth pick dipped about 1/2 to 3/4 inch in olive oil. Then I touch the tip of the tooth pick to a paper towel to remove some of the oil. (you only need less than a drop) Quickly, before the rest of the oil absorbes into the pick I place it in the stream of wort while transfering into the carboy (primary).

I’ve been very surprised at how fast and vigorous the olive oil make the fermentation. Much better then using oxygen.

The first time I tried this technique I thought I was going to blow the airlock within the first 12 hours or so. I had trub up into the airlock.

The second time (Hopslam clone) it never got going any more vigorous then normal, but did start immediately. It was bubbling about twice a minute within a minute.

Mich Dave

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

Dave McVeigh wrote:

Memorial weekend I brewed a Hopslam clone using yeast I cultured from a couple bottles of Hopslam. I added olive oil instead of oxygen. It started bubbling almost immediately. (1 bubble every 30 seconds) By the next morning it was bubbling about once every second. Now that its been several days, I’ve noticed that it bubbles faster in the morning and slower at night. I’m guessing that is because the temp in the morning is 58-62 and at night is 70-74. Does this mean the yeast is a lager or bottom yeast? I suspect that it is for this reason and the fact that it is working so slowly. In the past I’ve always (except once) used ale yeast and always seen alot more activity. At the peak bubbling I usually can’t count the bubbles easily. This batch has never gone faster then about 75 bubbles per minute. (morning) At night, when the house is warmer, the fastest has been about 45 bubbles per minute. I plan on moving the carboy into my bathroom where I’ll close the heat vent and open the window.
      Mich Dave

Does anyone know if Hopslam yeast is a lager yeast? For some reason this yeast seems to work better at cooler temps. I’ve only brewed 1 batch with lager yeast, so I’m not as familiar with it’s behavour. Anyone have experience brewing lagers?

Mich Dave

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.