yeast question

Home Forums Brewing General yeast question

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Fred Genslinger
      @fredmiester

I’m getting ready to make a Rogue Dead Guy clone. The recipe calls for a Pacman Ale Yeast. What would be my best option of what is available in the local beer store as a substitute, like Quality Wine & Ale Supply

Pirates_Beer.gif

Chip Lewis
      @iechyd-da

Most recipes I’ve seen for Dead Guy say to use Wyeast 1056 in place of the Pacman yeast. Since QW&A doesn’t stock Wyeast I’d use my latest favorite yeast Safale US-05 dry yeast and next choice would be WLP001.

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

I’ve just received some chlorine dioxide for starting my “yeast ranch”. I have a packet of Pacman yeast from last year that I will trying to culture to 2-3 times a pitchable amount for freezing. If I succeed at culturing it up, I can bring some to the next meeting. Can you wait ’til then?

Mich Dave

Fred Genslinger
      @fredmiester

Thanks Dave, You mean by the Aug. meeting. Sure I can wait.

Fred Genslinger
      @fredmiester

Thanks Chip. I thought the California yeast would be the local choice from reading the characteristics of the White Labs stock. I needed to see if any were in agreement. I’m in no hurry, if Mich Dave succeeds with the yeast farm, that will be good to. I’m just thinking if we do have a Rogue clone contest I wanna be ahead and have the trial & error done.

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

Fred Genslinger wrote:

Thanks Dave, You mean by the Aug. meeting. Sure I can wait.

Looks like it will have to be the August meeting. I thought I had some dry light extract to culture it, but I’m out of everything but dark grains and wheat extract. Well, growing enough by this Sunday was probably pushing it anyway.

Mich Dave

Fred Genslinger
      @fredmiester

Dave- If you can grow some by the August meeting that would be awesome. I searched the web and came up empty. I also stopped at Quality Wine & Ale today, Mike said he didn’t think it was available since last year.
      Fred

tettnang tom
      Participant
      @tettnang-tom

Hi Fred,

I’ve had great luck with Safale US 05, so I agree with Chip. (Also the Saflager S-23 worked great on my CAP.) If you don’t want to mess with a smack pack, you can just rehydrate, aerate the wort, and pitch! 😉

tettnang tom

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

Hi Fred,
      Are you coming to the August meeting? Do you still need Pacman yeast? Does anyone else need any? It took awhile to culture up some from the smack pack I had left over from 2 years ago. (exp. date was in 2006) After two weeks I barely got enough for 3 batches of brew. This was the yeast I used in 3 of 4 batches this weekend. By next sunday atleast one of these batches should be ready for secondary and I can bring in all that I get from that/them. The pale ale from Saturdays brewing, is now bubbling away nicely. It started within 12 hrs so it looks like the yeast is quite healthy now.

Mich Dave

Fred Genslinger
      @fredmiester

Dave,
      Yes I am going to be at this months meeting and would still like some pacman if I can freeze it for future use. I’m just not ready to brew an arrogant bastard yet.
      Thank you and see you on the 10th.
      Fred

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

Hey now,
      I’d like a sample of the PacMan strain, if you can swing it. See yas at the meeting either way.

Thanks.

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

Fred Genslinger wrote:

Dave,
      Yes I am going to be at this months meeting and would still like some pacman if I can freeze it for future use. I’m just not ready to brew an arrogant bastard yet.
      Thank you and see you on the 10th.
      Fred

I’ll be seperating the yeast out of the primary. I was planning on trying freezing for the first time after the meeting. If I have time I’ll do it the night before the meeting. Keep in mind that the fresh yeast should be good in your fridge for a couple months. Frozen yeast has to be kept frozen. That means no auto defrost freezer. You can store it in an insulated container within your frost free fridge. I plan on using a small styrofoam box with ice packs to keep it frozen during the thaw phase of the freezer. Everytime yeast thaws some of the cells die. (I think 20-25%) The reason I mention this is that I have an hour plus drive with no A/C in my car. If I do have time to freeze it, it may thaw between the time I leave for the meeting and the time you get home after the meeting. It would still be fine to refreeze it, but you will lose some of the yeast. Remember that you will be un-thawing the yeast again when you use it.

I’ll bring it frozen if I can. Otherwise it will be fresh and good for a couple months. If you want to try freezing it for the first time when you get home, we can talk about how its done. Andy, I/we may be picking your brain at the meeting. That reminds me. Andy do you want yours fresh or frozen? Anyone else?

Mich Dave

MEGA Admin
      Keymaster
      @mega-admin

Fresh is fine, thanks.

:ds

Fred Genslinger
      @fredmiester

Yeah, me too. Fresh is fine for me as well since it will be good for a few months. Gotta remember that I’m the rookie.

happyhour-d4284a0f064a63029d78aed76426d2e1.gif

Dave McVeigh
      @mich-dave

Did everyone have enough Pacman yeast in the vials after it settled? If not, in a few days I’ll be kegging two batches from secondary and each have about 1/2 to 3/4 inch of yeast on the bottom of the carboys. I’ll now have plenty to go around and to start my freezing experiment.

Mich Dave

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.